[geeks] Windows XP EOL

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 11:04:56 CST 2014

Does WinXP require internet access to activate? (Yes, it does -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-US Unless you are installing from
OEM install discs that are pre-activated for use on OEM hardware on to OEM
hardware)

MS is suspending the development of patches/updates, and has already ceased
selling new WinXP licenses. I don't think they will suspend OS activation,
because that would cause too many hardships for users that have hardware
problems, etc. and need to re-install the OS.

Besides, MS is offering custom support packages for companies that require
support and are incapable of transitioning off of WinXP by EOL date. As I
understand it support for the first year is very expensive, and the second
year is a multiple of that, and yet, some organizations will avail
themselves of this service... I know ATM users (banks) are weighing their
options - many ATMs use under-powered embedded systems that won't support
Win7.

Lionel