[geeks] Windows XP EOL

Google md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 01:38:37 CST 2014

On 10 Feb 2014, at 06:48, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Feb 2014, Dan Duncan wrote:
>
>> So Windows XP is finally going EOL again (they mean it this time!) and I
>> was wondering if anyone else still uses it much.  I own multiple licensed
>> copies which I still use for VMs and for playing the occasional legacy
>> game.  I periodically re-install which hasn't been a major issue but I'm
>> assuming that when support ends they'll also drop the ability to activate
>> the install which likely will cause me some grief.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how I can continue to keep XP running?
>
> I have a feeling someone'll find a way around that shortly.

We still use it on half our machines at work but I've got a bunch of Windows 7
licenses on standby for re-installing those machines.

I was told a few weeks ago you can download a free copy og XP Pro for
installing on your own VM now. I think they are wholly past caring, someone
will probably (or likely already has) crack the other versions to remove the
activation requirement and they probably won't go after them for it.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>