[geeks] Cluster in a box? Interesting item on offer at eBay

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 20:54:10 CST 2014

A little more info:

The system has three blades installed, you can not *easily* add a fourth -
you'd need to obtain not only another blade, but you'd need a number of
custom cables (to power switch, power supply, 4x SATA), but the power
supply doesn't seem to have connections for a fourth blade.

Each blade has four hot-swap bays available to it, not three - the blade
has 6 SATA ports & some on-board RAID solution that appears to support hot
spares, but hot-spare drives are only available for the blade they are
connected to (remember, it's just three independent systems in one chassis).

You can not add a second power supply to system - there is an empty space
for another power supply, but there are no connections to actually use a
second PS if you added one.

The BIOS settings appear to be 'unique', and it appears to be possible to
'brick' a blade if you decide to start updating BIOSes willy-nilly.

There's a brief discussion of these servers over at servethehome.com with
reports of success with Windows 2012 & ESXi -
http://forums.servethehome.com/processors-motherboards/3100-dell-3-node-amd-dcs6005-2.html

I'm gonna wait till tomorrow when I can prepare 3x USB keys to stick inside
each blade (I think 16 Gig USB would be good, plenty of room for drivers &
what-not, besides, Best Buy has some tiny Sandisk micro USB drives on sale,
$13 for 16 Gigs, $9 for 8 Gigs).

Lionel

lionel4287 at gmail.com