[geeks] Cluster in a box? Interesting item on offer at eBay

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Feb 7 14:51:37 CST 2014

On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 01:06:17PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Desk side is a euphemism for down the hall, in a server rack. I am
> not foolish enough to mean desk side literally. ;^)

For me deskside is down two flights of stairs, in the back corner of
the basement.  Still some things, such as the Sun V210, are too loud.

> The actual power consumption is rated at about 285 watts/blade, and
> the ability to spin the blades up or down as needed/desired I think
> it should be OK.

That is good to know.

> Once I move to Dallas I don't know what I'll do - the whole 'no
> basement' thing is gonna be a problem... I am thinking rack & desk
> in the garage, but it can get quite toasty in TX in the
> summer... Maybe I need to look into 'warm' data center operation?

The Dell cloud machines may well be meant for warm operation.

I'd be tempted to build an insulated closet with a wall mounted AC for
the servers in that case.