[geeks] Cluster in a box? Interesting item on offer at eBay

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Feb 7 13:14:23 CST 2014

I have both the Intel versions of this chassis , and a few of the systems that are equivalent to the 3-node system boards.

1. The Intel chassis boards take between 4-5A of 110V for 4x of the nodes, with all drive bays populated with 7200rpm SATA drives and the CPUs mostly at rest but doing stuff , that is, typical Linux load, not heavy CPU computation or whatnot (each board 2x L5520 and 48GB RAM).

2. The AMD-equivalent systems use only slightly more than 1A with 4 drives and 32GB, so, I would estimate about 1A per node.

3. The 1100W power supplies are designed to handle whatever kind of node/cpu combination, so, they made them larger due to the X series CPUs that could go in them, like the X5560.

4. the 1100W power supplies are supposed to be 94% efficiency.

Cheers

Patrick