[geeks] How to avoid counterfit gadgets?

Mark G Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Tue Feb 4 09:42:51 CST 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 02:16:49PM +0000, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 08:48:03AM -0500, hike wrote:
>
> > As for batteries, the USA has mandated the really bad stuff out of
> > batteries.  Stuff such as mercury.  USA batteries can be thrown in the
> > trash without harming the environment.  If China does not have these same
> > standards then these are mercury ridden products and the greatest risk is
> > disposing of these counterfeits the same as the USA standards batteries and
> > damaging the environment.
>
> That is something I didn't even think of. I mainly buy Duracell for two
> reasons. Years ago I tested them against other major battery brands and
> the Duracells always lasted longer in my devices. I never encountered any
> leaks with them but other brands did. I believe Energizer has gotten a lot
> better over the years and may be just as good as Duracell now but I'm happy
> with Duracell.
>
> Your point is extremely important. Not just for the environment, but for
> people. There are a lot of kids running around and safety definitely
> matters. Even for cats...

In the past year or two, I've had a rash of Duracell batteries leak and
destroy things like remotes. These batteries were years before from their
supposed expiration date, and were in some cases barely used or even
still in their original packaging. My house is central air conditioned, so
these have not been exposed to heat or cold since I bought them. I believe
Duracell has changed the recipe and created a disaster. I don't believe
these are fake Duracells, unless there is a chance the fakes have seriously
infiltrated the US market; these came from chains like local Best Buy, BJ's,
and Target stores.

I have now gone through every device I have, and disposed of any remaining
Duracells. I will never, ever, buy that brand again. So far, I've had good
luck with Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA cells, but I'm keeping a close eye
on them.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)