[geeks] Thoughts on IT work in public schools?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Apr 16 13:47:05 CDT 2014

Ive worked with a couple public school systems and private high schools as a
consultant.  The below might slightly overstate how bad it is, but not by a
whole lot.  Just like business, some school systems are better for IT than
others, even the best Ive seen it just OK.  The worst I saw was actually a
private high school, religiously affiliated, that never bought new hardware.
Everything they had for servers and networking was old retired equipment from
a nearby college.  The admin there could barely do more than put out fires.

In better circumstances, there was competent funding and management, but there
was not much interesting work as far as I could tell.

Boy, IT at public schools is so bad that even threads about on a normally
civilized list are top-posted!

	-Dan Sikorski

On Apr 16, 2014, at 1:06 PM, hike <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:

> IT is a commodity at public schools.
> IT does not pay well at public schools.
> IT is poorly equipped at public schools.  (Yes, less than business.)
> IT people are not as high on the status totem pole as teachers.  (No entry
> to teacherbs lounge, etc.band teachers are pretty low on the totem pole.)
> IT is electronic waste management.  An IT person is an b
electronic