[geeks] Patents [was Re: Can't decide on an OS]

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Mon Sep 30 12:10:29 CDT 2013

On 09/30/13 12:02, Mouse wrote:
> If patents actually protected inventors' rights, they'd bother me less.
> Especially if they did little else.  (They'd still bother me, if only
> because I'm not convinced "inventors' rights" makes sense.)
>
> They actually operate to provide cash cows for large corporations which
> once employed inventors, or, worse, for patent trolls who never
> invented a thing.

I've often pondered if the situation would be improved if corporations
were not permitted to hold patents.  A patent can be held only by actual
individual living persons, who must demonstrably be the actual inventors
of the subject of the patent.  Any attempt by any holder to assign the
patent to an individual not involved in the invention, or to a
corporation or trust, voids that individual's claim to the patent.
Patents remain valid only if licensed on request.  Any patent for which
any fair and reasonable licensing request is refused, or with no
remaining valid individual holders, reverts automatically to the public
domain.

> I wonder if someone could patent patent trolling....

Someone did at least attempt to patent a particular form of patent
trolling, as I recall, with the intention of sueing several major patent
trolls for violation of their submarine-patent patent.  I don't remember
how it shook out.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications