[geeks] Can't decide on an OS

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Sep 26 02:11:49 CDT 2013

>> I've gotten too angry at OS X being too slow and bloated to the
>> point I needed to pick another one.
> The short answer is that there isn't one, and it's getting time that
> competent "someones" get together and make the next usable
> workstation OS.

Part of the problem there is that it's difficult to get anything even
vaguely like agreement on what constitutes "usable".

> [...], but it's going to take some hell of an angel investor to get
> graphics support where it needs to be for workstation use, though.

Only because users keep moving the goalposts.  Any even vaguely modern
peecee can, without using any hardware graphics assist at all, blow the
graphics doors off machines that, when they were new, were greeted with
ecstatic delight at the zippy graphics performance they offered.

Furthermore, even that angel investor isn't going to help much until a
significant fraction of users actually start telling manufacturers "no,
I won't buy that, because the hardware is undocumented".  Now, it's
only a very few fringe weirdos like me who do that.  Most people, even
the more stringent openness advocates I know, buy - cheerfully or
grudgingly, it doesn't matter to the makers, as long as they buy -
undocumented graphics hardware; as long as that continues, real change
is unlikely.

> I don't know, man.  I'm pretty bummed about the situation.

So am I, so am I...to the point where I'm trying to think of something
I could do for a living that would let me never touch computers again.
But then, I'm getting old enough that with luck I'll check out before
it gets intolerable to me.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org