[geeks] Can't decide on an OS

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Sep 25 14:37:33 CDT 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:26:20 -0400, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
> On the other hand, though, grub2 is a _complete_ and _utter_
> disaster.  I recently added Memtest86+ to the grub2 menu on my

I sometimes wonder how much of the mess is due to packagers making
things easier for themselves. I don't care to recall the details of how
grub2 is configured (I don't have quite enough SAN points to spare),
but as I recall, grub2 was configured under Debian with some sort of
weird pre-processor which generates the normal configuration; any
attempt to edit the real configuration (which sort of seemed
relatively sane) would be blown away.

As a more concrete example, when it comes to Exim, I can't make head or
tail of the default Debian configuration spread across so many files.
And I'm hardly an Exim novice having run it for 15 years or so ...
together with a hand customised configuration.

> Gnome/KDE/vi/emacs/whatever.  Also, all OS communities (even
> Windows') suffer from some "recruiting drives" by their more die-hard
> members.

I think that's the key point ... there are some obstreperous people who
insist on thrusting their beliefs into everyone's faces whether it's
Linux, Windows, Islam, or their favourite boot polish. It's not the
fault of whatever they're pushing, but the person themselves.