[geeks] Can't decide on an OS

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 14:16:10 CDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013, Nathan Raymond wrote:
>
>> If you haven't upgraded to an SSD in your Mac,
>> it's the #1 upgrade I recommend, followed by at least 16GB of RAM.
>>

> I still need to toss in more RAM and an SSD.  8G wasn't quite enough. ;)

Start with the SSD.  Get either a SanDisk Extreme II or a Samsung SSD 840
Pro (at least 256GB):

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7006/sandisk-extreme-ii-review-480gb
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6328/samsung-ssd-840-pro-256gb-review

Temporarily move your internal HD to an external enclosure, boot off of it,
and use cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your drive to
the SSD:

http://www.bombich.com/

After the drive is cloned, boot off your internal drive and install Trim
Enabler to enable TRIM support (improving garbage collection and the
potential longevity of the SSD by optimizing wear leveling in lock-step
with the filesystem):

http://www.groths.org/software/trimenabler/

- Nate