[geeks] Pentominos continued

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Oct 29 02:32:28 CDT 2013

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 17:41:19 +0000, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> Ok. Then maybe the suggestion of Amazon was really on target. 10^34
> is not a big deal compared to some of the stuff I've read was done
> for $1.50 American.

If each ominoe takes 1ms to process, then you can tackle 1000 each
second. For a single core, you'll need 10^31 seconds to process each
one. If you want the work done in a single year, it'll take roughly
3.1E24 cores to do that.

If you use a 16-core processor in 1U servers, you'll need a pile
1.9E22U high of servers. That's 8.7E20km high or 92,792,781 light years
high.

I suspect Amazon isn't quite that big as yet.

[Calculations carried out for my own amusement; no warranty implied]