[geeks] Building a local IMAP server on OpenIndiana

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 01:16:51 CST 2013

On 21/11/13 02:07, Bill Green wrote:
> On 11/20/2013 12:02 PM, Mark Benson wrote:
>> I don't want to download, process or send mail, just store it in an IMAP
>> structure so that any mail client can access it and use it to store messages
>> 'offline' via a garden-variety mail client.
> I'm a little confused by your wording, as I think you'll have to "download" the
> mail from the remote server (that Mail.app doesn't like) in any case, but
> assuming that I'm not misunderstanding your intention, there are at least two
> solutions to pull IMAP mail to a local machine and keep the two mailboxes in sync:
>
> 1) Offlineimap <http://offlineimap.org/>
> 2) Dovecot's "dsync" utility <http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Dsync>
>
> You can run either as a cron job to keep the two mailboxes synchronized.
> Offlineimap can run as a daemon, as well.  Once you have the mail locally you
> can run whatever IMAP server you want to serve it (dovecot is easy to
> configure), or just use whatever MUA to access it directly.
No, this is not what I want at all (although It's an interesting idea).

- I'm replacing Mail with something else because it sucks. I've thought
it sucked for ages but  the GMail thing is the straw that broke the
camels back. I'm done with it.
- I will download and read mail from my online servers as normal via a
garden-variety mail client (What client I use is not relevant anymore,
the idea of using IMAP is the client is just an interface and no longer
stores mail)
- I want to store (as in archive, not download or send) mail on a local
IMAP server that ANY mail client can access without having to import the
mail into it's own folder format.
- I want an IMAP *server* not a client.
- I don't want to use an online IMAP server that I can't easily backup
(fast internet hasn't come ot my house yet, we're still on 7MBit which
is okay but far from ideal speed for doing hat kind of stuff).

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Dyslexia lures KO.

--

Mark Benson