[geeks] Building a local IMAP server on OpenIndiana

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 14:02:03 CST 2013

On 19/11/13 19:21, Mike F wrote:
> I used to serve mail for my domain on an Ultra 60 running Solaris. I
> used Postfix for the MTA and Dovecot for IMAP, plus Squirrelmail for
> occasional web mail usage. IIRC, I built all from source, either due
> to lack of pre-built packages, outdated packages, or for
> customizability. This setup worked very well served off my home
> connection, but the uphill battle against spam drove me to move to
> Google Apps eventually. If the Mavericks Mail.app is good enough at
> spam classification, it may not be an issue.

I don't want to download, process or send mail, just store it in an IMAP
structure so that any mail client can access it and use it to store
messages 'offline' via a garden-variety mail client. I also don't (at
least immediately) require access from outside my LAN. Being up to
date/secure/customisable isn't al arge concern either.

My intention is to replace Mavericks' Mail client with a 3rd party app
called AirMail which is a very lightweight client but relies on 'cloud'
storage for the mail folders. As such it will connect and use IMAP mail
folders. The idea is to transfer the mail archives to IMAP to prevent me
having another round of 'lock-in' which I currently have due to my
existing archive being in Mail in OS X and not accessible from other
clients.

I know, I am probably attacking this bass-ackwards but it seemed like a
sensible solution.

--

Mark Benson