[geeks] WTB: cheap 386 or 486 Laptop to run SCO

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 15:44:46 CST 2013

I'm reminded of a similar, yet opposite experience with my first IBM
compatible PC - a 486DX-33 IIRC.

I had previously owned a 6502 SBC (SYM-1), an OSI SuperBoard, an Atari  800, a
MacPlus and even a DEC Professional 350, but I had no idea what to expect
performance-wise, and my taste in games leaned towards arcade-style games,
like Arkanoid. Anyway, I bring home my new PC, set it up, and after futzing
with it for w hike, decided to run a 'real' game.

It took over 10 minutes to start up, and the graphics were do slow I couldn't
stand it.

After deciding there was something wrong with the machine, I took it back to
the store - they took it in back, and brought back out 10 minutes later.

The BIOS was, for some reason, set to run the CPU at 4.77 MHz. Changing that
setting made a HUGE difference!

Ken