[geeks] Internal 3.5" Floppy?

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 12:41:50 CST 2013

On 11/12/13 12:00, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> From: "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at artell.net>
> Some time back, William Barnett-Lewis said ...
>
>> Anyone got a spare internal 3.5" floppy drive? The one in my
>> salvaged Dell Optiplex is dead and for a couple of projects,
>> I still need 3.5" HD disks. My USB one doesn't appear to work
>> either :(
>
> Did you ever get a working drive?

Thank you, but I did.

Turned out to be a software issue. Reinstallation of a kernel module
during the upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10 and then handing dd the correct
parameters turned out to do the trick for both the internal drive and
the USB one.

Spent the weekend reporposing about 100 old HD floppies so that once the
old Toshiba arrives, I should be ready to begin installing Xenix 2.3.4
on it and to see if I can get franz lisp from the old BSD tapes to build.

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.