[geeks] Simple web server?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Mar 27 23:36:11 CDT 2013

On 28 Mar 2013, at 00:29, "James Birdsall" <jwb-tech at picarefy.com> wrote:

> Apache has grown enormously and is now like using a whale to swat a fly if
all you want to do is serve some static content. Surely somebody out there has
written a web server that is small and simple to configure, for those with
minimal needs. After thinking about it for a bit, I really only have three
requirements: 1) virtual domains, 2) basic password control for a few
directories, and 3) the ability to autogenerate a directory listing for
directories which don't have an index.html.

> Does anybody have any recommendations?

Nginx, perhaps lighttpd but I think the latter has been abandoned.  I can't
think of others off hand...

I was originally misled by the subjectI was going to mention a simple httpd
written in shell that was hijacked from a debian install cd. ;)