[geeks] Keyboards

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Mar 26 22:02:29 CDT 2013

On 03/26/13 22:37, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> Thanks for posting, I was looking at those not too long ago as it may be time
> to replace my kinesis keyboard.  How comfortable does the positioning of your
> wrists feel with it?  I really like the spacing that the kinesis has between
> hands, and find that it puts my wrists and arms in a more relaxed position.

I've been meaning to try a Kinesis for some time and never got around to
it.  It's too soon yet to say for long-term on the TECK; I think the
spacing is good, but I'd probably be happier if the split angle were
five to ten degrees wider.

> Regarding the numeric pad positioning:  I initially did not use that much on
> the kinesis, and similarly thought it was kind of useless until i got used to
> using the kinesis pedal for num lock, with that easy ability to switch on the
> keypad, i find it pretty useful  I know that keyboard doesn't have a pedal
> option, but if the num lock is easy to use, you may find it more useful than
> you initially think after you get used to using it.

The numlock key is in a pretty reasonable position, but I still intend
to never use it.  The English language does not contain expletives
sufficiently vile to adequately express my hatred of embedded numeric
keypads.  Keyboards, like editors, should not be modal; you should be
free to think about what you want to type, not about what mode you need
to be in to type it.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.