[geeks] windows backup software

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 21 20:02:05 CDT 2013

On 21-Mar-2013 19:09, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Windows Home Server 2011?
>
> Supports bare-metal restore & includes de-duplication tech.
>
> I think a free trial is available from MS, and it's pretty affordable
> $50-100... It will backup up to 25 PCs without requiring them to be on a
> domain. Supports WinXP, Win7, and Win8, all versions (I think) & Macs.
>
> It will happily run in a VM and is used in many small business installs simply
> for backup purposes.

Interesting idea, but I only run the current Windows machine because of
games and a few programs I can't get on Mac or have already paid for on
Windows. For now I need the client to do the work.

I will eventually replace my current backup server, but it won't be
Windows. Needs to be able to back up UNIX machines, and I generally hate
Windows server.

My current backup server 3 years ago was outrun by the amount of data I
have, and I still haven't replaced it. Seems someone always wants my
money for something else when I get ready to do it.

I might consider that for a friend though: nothing but Windows machines,
and several of them.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]