[geeks] windows backup software

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 21 18:07:28 CDT 2013

On 21-Mar-2013 18:11, Mouse wrote:
>> Its 2013 and I find it amazing how many backup programs are stuck
>> with 80s level interfaces, no support for multiple cores,
>
> What possible use could multiple cores be?  Unless it's truly
> spectacularly badly designed, it will be I/O bound anyway, no?

I don't agree that it will be I/O bound unless poorly designed.

Even sticking to UNIX pipeline backups, I can saturate a single core
with high enough compression and encryption levels, perhaps more if I
have other features in the mix.

I use multiple cores all the time even in my command line work all the
time. I see no reason not to use them if they are available, and after a
lot of empirical testing, have encountered few notable negatives from
doing it.

In any case, most Windows backup software is GUI driven, multhreaded
software, and almost always benefits from at least coarse multicore support.

Just as above, its not that hard to pick options in CPU heavy features
like encryption and compression to make the backup CPU bound, and it
helps to have the GUI, file threads, compression, and backup writing in
separate threads.

On the Mac, when Apple started making the whole thing multi-core, pretty
much everything got smoother, and Windows seems no different.

And, in this case, there is a specific test case where it is needed.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]