[geeks] Scam Alert

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Thu Mar 14 11:51:51 CDT 2013

Apologies for the duplicate post; I sent this to cctalk, too.

Per some advice here I posted locally on craigslist for items wanted. This
morning I received a text message saying "click here to see if my items match
what you're looking for."  it was an image hosting site named "imgsend.com"
and seemed nearly-legit. I went there from my phone and said "missing
plug-in." Odd. I went there from my Mac. It said I needed a plug-in to view
GMP-based GIMP images. GIMP doesn't make GMP images. At this point I knew
something was wrong and began to break out my google-fu.

This is what I learned, after you click to "add plugin" it points you to a
website that redistributes GIMP with known malware and spyware. Once you have
that installed and visit the site to view your photos, the malware is
activated, and likely your banking credentials are stolen.