[geeks] Turning to the geeks in my hour of need

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Wed Mar 13 20:29:10 CDT 2013

On Mar 13, 2013, at 8:48 PM, Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:
> [root at co-ap-116 init.d]# cp
> /opt/edi/home/biztmp/prod/XML_Inbox/foo5.txt
> /erptransfer/edi/apps/ecm/Prod/XML_Inbox/foo5.txt
> cp: cannot create regular file
> `/erptransfer/edi/apps/ecm/Prod/XML_Inbox/foo5.txt': Permission denied
>
> But I can _touch_ it ...
>
> [root at co-ap-116 init.d]# touch
/erptransfer/edi/apps/ecm/Prod/XML_Inbox/foo5.txt
> [root at co-ap-116 init.d]#

You're running as root on an NFS-shared filesystem, right? Do you have
-maproot set in the exports file? Otherwise root won't have permissions to do
anything on a shared filesystem from a remote client. The "touch" may complete
because it hasn't flushed it to the NFS server (probably weird code bug,
maybe?)  what happens when you try...

"# cat > /erptransfer/edi/apps/ecm/Prod/XML_Inbox/foo5.txt"