[geeks] Cat6 between buildings and grime proofing?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Jun 13 12:17:58 CDT 2013

I would definitely stay away from  ethernet between the buildings, I have had problems even inside the same building, with IIRC "ground fault differential" because it was a large building and different areas were fed with different transformers.  We would have dead ports or ports that needed resetting after a large thunderstorm.

What amount of bandwdith is needed?  If wireless can be used, these guys have good stuff at good prices:  http://www.ubnt.com/ .

Concerning PCs, I would get a PVC vinyl shroud for the case and one of those waterproof keyboard covers as used in restaurants or industrial settings.  Maybe put the PC up higher, on a shelf, so that dust and oil won't get in the fans.