[geeks] A wizard's steam valve has a knob on the end

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Jul 23 11:38:42 CDT 2013

On Jul 23, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:

> Fellow geeks and wizards,
> I need to find a replacement knob.  It's actually for a just-replaced
> steam valve on an espresso machine.  I *could* order a replacement for
> the cracked OEM knob, but I don't really want to because the OEM knob is
> a poor design, molded plastic relying on a flat leaf spring.  I want a
> knob that will outlast the valve.  I don't really care whether it
> matches the original, I just want it to work, keep on working, and not
> crack or slip.  I'm ideally looking for a molded hard-plastic (phenolic
> reson, say) knob with a brass bushing and a set screw.
>
> The shaft it needs to fit onto is a D-section brass shaft, 0.230"
> diameter (possibly nominally 6mm), with a .055" deep flat (so, .170"
> diameter across the flat).  Knob OD must not exceed 1.5".
>
> Anyone have any suggestions where to start looking for such a knob?  I
> figure there's enough frobbers of assorted mechanical and electronic
> hardware here that it's likely someone will have a good starting place
> or two to suggest.

Which espresso machine?  If my measurements are correct, the knob from my
Rancilio Silvia would fit, and while it is not quite the construction you're
looking for, it's been very solid in my weekend use for the past several
years.  Knob diameter on the v3 knob is 2", so a little bigger than you're
looking for, but the diameter of the v2 knob is 1.5".  (I have both hanging
around because i replaced my v2 steam wand with a v3 shortly after they came
out and was too much of a packrat to throw the old one away.)