[geeks] A wizard's steam valve has a knob on the end

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jul 23 10:30:42 CDT 2013

Fellow geeks and wizards,
I need to find a replacement knob.  It's actually for a just-replaced
steam valve on an espresso machine.  I *could* order a replacement for
the cracked OEM knob, but I don't really want to because the OEM knob is
a poor design, molded plastic relying on a flat leaf spring.  I want a
knob that will outlast the valve.  I don't really care whether it
matches the original, I just want it to work, keep on working, and not
crack or slip.  I'm ideally looking for a molded hard-plastic (phenolic
reson, say) knob with a brass bushing and a set screw.

The shaft it needs to fit onto is a D-section brass shaft, 0.230"
diameter (possibly nominally 6mm), with a .055" deep flat (so, .170"
diameter across the flat).  Knob OD must not exceed 1.5".

Anyone have any suggestions where to start looking for such a knob?  I
figure there's enough frobbers of assorted mechanical and electronic
hardware here that it's likely someone will have a good starting place
or two to suggest.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.