[geeks] Manipulating a modem

Aaron Morrison ae4ko at amsat.org
Sat Jan 26 14:54:26 CST 2013

On Jan 26, 2013, at 15:35, "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at artell.net> wrote:

> Quoth Lionel Peterson ...
>
>> Simply send desired strings to the serial device port?
>
> Yes, but how?

Same as you would to a console.

>> Expect would be the tool of choice, but that's based on it's
>> reputation, not personal experience...
>
> I've used it before, but only to control other programs, never to directly
> control a serial device.
>
> I suppose what I'm really asking is for detailed information on how to
> manipulate a serial ports from a Shell script (or Expect) under Linux.
I've
> done lots of that under MS-DOS using Crosstalk Mk.4, so I'm well-acquainted
> with the general method.  What I lack is knowledge of the way to do it in
> the Linux world.  I don't even know the names of the serial ports....

/dev/ttyS[0-3] are typically the inboard port names.

"stty" can tell you/set the port parameters.

And minicom is a common terminal app.  I'd suggest using that (or similar) to
make sure you are talking to the modem with the proper settings and then start
on your expect script (or whatever you decide to do)