[geeks] Manipulating a modem

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Sat Jan 26 14:35:27 CST 2013

 Quoth Lionel Peterson ...

> Simply send desired strings to the serial device port?

Yes, but how?

> Expect would be the tool of choice, but that's based on it's
> reputation, not personal experience...

I've used it before, but only to control other programs, never to directly
control a serial device.

I suppose what I'm really asking is for detailed information on how to
manipulate a serial ports from a Shell script (or Expect) under Linux.  I've
done lots of that under MS-DOS using Crosstalk Mk.4, so I'm well-acquainted
with the general method.  What I lack is knowledge of the way to do it in
the Linux world.  I don't even know the names of the serial ports....

Thanks.

-Shel