[geeks] State of the BSDs (Was: [rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?)

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Feb 28 01:38:23 CST 2013

> OpenBSD has a fixed release schedule, twice a year.  That means you
> know how much time you need to spend upgrading, and when you need to
> do it.

When, maybe.  But how much time?  Er, no.  Some upgrades break things
worse than others; I've just spent days trying to adapt a bunch of my
stuff to a new NetBSD version (and so far mostly succeeding, though one
of the most important is still ongoing).  In contrast, the time taken
for some other upgrades has, loosely speaking, been limited by nothing
but how fast I could type the commands.

Of course, Net is not Open.  But I can't believe Open doesn't change;
if it didn't, there'd be no point in either releasing or installing new
versions.  And every change risks breaking something.

> The tools and package management are finally to the point doing this
> is very close to painless.

Oh...are you under some kind of delusion that nobody ever runs anything
but OS-supplied packages?

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org