[geeks] State of the BSDs (Was: [rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?)

Bill Green bill at supposedly.org
Wed Feb 27 16:02:55 CST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 06:46:25PM +0000, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 01:31:07PM -0500, Mouse wrote:
>>
>>  So far, my perception of OpenBSD has not been enough better than
>>  NetBSD to override that.
>
> [...]
>
> But...I used Free and Net and OpenBSD for a few years each and drew my
> own conclusions. While I no longer trust Free and Net (and haven't for
> years) I'm pretty happy with OpenBSD.

I'd be interested to hear your (and Mouse's) thoughts about the state
of the various BSDs.  Why don't you trust Free- and Net- (anymore)?  I
know that Mouse uses older versions of NetBSD, also.  I think I may
have an idea of why you might not "trust" them -- I've had my own
problems with recent NetBSD releases -- but I'd like to hear your
reasons articulated, if you wouldn't mind, especially as you say your
opinion dates back years.