[geeks] FibreChannel or FDDI

b4 at gewt.net b4 at gewt.net
Thu Feb 14 09:08:45 CST 2013

Hello!

At home, i'm currently running VMWare, and i'm using shared disks on a NAS4FREE box via iSCSI over gigE shared with the VMs.

I was wondering what would be faster performance-wise or if I could configure things this way.

I can get some FDDI cards + necessary hardware (PCI) for the two, and I was wondering if that would be slower than iSCSI over gigE or if it'd be equal/faster...I'm leaning towards equal due to less overhead and it being a dedicated network for it.

I also have a couple FibreChannel cards (64-bit/66MHz I think...other systems don't have the full length slots so I know i'd be limited speed-wise there).  Despite the speed decrease due to backwards-compat...would it be equal, faster, or slower than my current setup? If yes, would it be possible to do point-to-point between the two systems and have System2 access disks on System1?

(in actuality, performance isn't too big of a deal, I can handle a performance hit for the types of VMs i'm eunning)

Thanks! Any help appreciated.