[geeks] router[s] sought

John Francini francini at mac.com
Fri Nov 30 18:23:32 CST 2012

> there is that, though i think it'll be a while before i have any gig
> gear.  i'm also old enough to have been at bell labs when we got
> starlan [1mb], and jumping up from 9600 and 56k, we felt we were
> riding rockets.

Interesting. Nearly everything we have at home is gig gear:

3 Macs (which have been gig since 2002 or so)
1 PC running OpenFiler serving iSCSI volumes to those Macs
Another PC to be built as an emulation/VM play box
A TiVo Premier HD (gig)
ASUS internet router (gig WAN port, 4 gig LAN ports)
Apple AirPort Extreme (square model)
2 Apple TV Take 3s
*Samsung Internet-connected TV (10/100)
*Panasonic Blu-Ray player (10/100)
*HP LaserJet 4250 (10/100)
*Brother Multifunction printer (10/100)

So for me gigabit was highly desirable, but it's not everyone's cup of
caffeine

john