[geeks] router[s] sought

John Francini francini at mac.com
Fri Nov 30 15:53:44 CST 2012

> d'oh.  missed them the first time, will definitely look again.
>
> odd the 8 is more than double the 5.
>
> any meaningful difference between brands at this end of the mkt?

yes, sadly.  I've had the newer Netgear stuff in the plastic cases fail on us
more times than I'd like.  Also had problems with Linksys.

The Trendnets seem to work well; we buy them by the dozen for office switches
to multiplex a single gigabit port to multiple machines.  The jumbo frames
feature is useful (something many other brands still don't support) for our
use, since we design iSCSI arrays here, and have several hundred arrays in our
labs. iSCSI definitely works much faster with 9000-byte packets.

John
where $WORK=Dell/EqualLogic, Nashua NH