[geeks] router[s] sought

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Nov 30 12:55:10 CST 2012

On 11/30/12 12:56, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Router or switch? Your description leaves me thinking you are using a router
> as a switch (and I know that's not what you want/asking for, so I'm
> confused.)...

I was about to ask the same thing.  I have a perfectly-good Netgear
FS524 24-port 100BT switch that I'm not using - the only thing it's
doing is physically supporting a Dell PowerConnect 2716, which I'm not
using either (it's just there as emergency overflow capacity for my
D-Link DGS-1024D), and I wouldn't need it for that if I could get my
hands on the shorter of the two rack ears for the 2716.

(I could order a new rack ear from Dell as a replacement part, but
they're evidently inordinately proud of their rack kits, because I found
that for what Dell wanted for two bits of bent sheet metal and eight
screws, I could buy the entire D-Link switch - and the D-Link is 24
ports and does jumbo frames, while the Dell is 16 ports and doesn't.
Which is why the D-Link is my core switch and the Dell is just there in
case of overflow.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.