[geeks] Good computer fiction books

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 17:03:31 CST 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Jonathan Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Nov 2012, Nicolai wrote:
>
>> What/who are some of your favorite computer-centric fiction books and
>> authors?  Not ordinary sci-fi (lots of great book lists there already),
>> but overtly computer-oriented books like Snow Crash or other Neal
>> Stephenson books.
>

> It's a little dated, but Winn Schwartau's Terminal Compromise stuck out as
> being rather good when I read it in the late 1990s.

Vinge's 'Deepness in the Sky' isn't computer-centric, but computers
are such a part _of_ any space-faring culture they're as necessary to
survival as water and air.

Maybe more so - you can always extract water and air from rock but if
you crater all of your automation to fragments you're _really_
screwed.

More to the point 'computers' are everywhere in the text, if not
always called out explicitly.  The main culture even reckons time
using unix epoch.

--
Brian Dunbar

"Display some adaptability"