[geeks] Disk label / TOC killed.

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Jun 21 06:20:00 CDT 2012

You should ask on zfs-discuss at opensolaris.org. It's where the ZFS devs (even at Oracle) hang out.

-----Original Message-----
From: RichTea <mail at catsnest.co.uk>
Sender: geeks-bounces at sunhelp.org
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:26:51
To: The Geeks List<geeks at sunhelp.org>
Subject: [geeks] Disk label / TOC killed.

Hi All,

Say for instance some monkey meant to use dd to copy an image to a USB disk
but instead wrote over a non raided zfs disk!
Would there be some way to rebuild the partition table with out erasing all
data on the disk so the zpool could be recovered?

I am using Solaris 11, in my x86 HP Microserver n36l with sata disks.

root at n36l:/export/home/drowl# zpool status -x
  pool: data2
 state: SUSPENDED
status: One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures.
action: Make sure the affected devices are connected, then run 'zpool
clear'.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-HC
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        data2       UNAVAIL      0     0     0  experienced I/O failures
          c2t0d0s0  UNAVAIL      0     0     0  experienced I/O failures

I guessing from the below its the label / partition that is busted...

root at n36l:/export/home/drowl# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2
prtvtoc: /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2: Unable to read Disk geometry errno = 0x5

root at n36l:/export/home/drowl# format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c2t0d0 <drive type unknown>
          /pci at 0,0/pci103c,1609 at 11/disk at 0,0
Specify disk (enter its number): 0

Error: can't open disk '/dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p0'.

AVAILABLE DRIVE TYPES:
        0. Auto configure
        19. ATA    -Hitachi HDT7210-A3AA
        20. other
Specify disk type (enter its number):

Any help most welcomed,
Ritchie.
--
<-- http://23.me.uk/2 -->
<--Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.  -->