[geeks] cases with 5 hot swap drive bays

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jun 10 15:00:39 CDT 2012

On Jun 10, 2012, at 08:46 , sammy ominsky wrote:

> On 10/06/2012, at 03:36, Shannon wrote:
>
>> It will be PC based as I can't think of much else cost effective.
>> I want a contradiction, or as close as I can get: small, quiet, 5
>> hot-swap drive bays. Ideally it would also have somewhere to stuff a
>> small boot drive.
>

> I offer as an alternative my MiniNAS.  Used Mac Mini that I bought from Mr
> Bill, a DVD duplicator case (~$85 from eBay), and a 5-in-3 hot swap disk
bay
> (also eBay, >$100).  The SATA card is a Commell MPX-3132 (~$65 shipped),
and
> I'm using Addonics port multipliers
> (http://www.addonics.com/category/port_multiplier.php).
>
> http://avoidant.org/MiniNAS

That's neat... however its not where I'm headed. Still I might use some of the
parts if I can't get it all in one case.

Don't really want to hack something up that much.

I also want to be able to completely replace the machine easily if anything
goes wrong, and I can get PC parts far easier than I could get a mini and hack
it up to work. This project will also use dual gigabit ethernet on a dedicated
I/O VLAN.

Still a very nice project. I know someone with some Minis wondering what to do
with them so I'll ping him about it.