[geeks] Opinions - Outdated technologies on Resume

Kurt Huhn artisan at k-huhn.com
Tue Jun 5 09:10:05 CDT 2012

As a hiring manager I would always look for folks that listed new AND
old stuff on their resume.  I saw that as someone who possessed lots of
experience and typically would have a well developed ability to
troubleshoot, diagnose, and fix problems before they cropped up.

As someone who was looking for a job about 4 years ago, I tended to
pare back my resume and tailor them to the employer with whom I was
hoping to score an interview.  At that point the job market was in the
toilet, even moreso than today, but it seemed to work.  My full resume
is 5 pages long, so there's plenty to work with.

At the end of my job hunt I did get tired of making all those changes,
and put stuff in like "infosec SWAT team, Linux ninja, and MacGyver
rolled into one".  I don't actually suggest anyone do that unless you're
getting desperate (I was), but it did work for me.  I landed the
interview that got me my current job.

--Kurt

--
Kurt Huhn