[geeks] Opinions - Outdated technologies on Resume

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 21:34:47 CDT 2012

I was just curious how you all feel about adding outdated technologies
to a Resume?

I'm not talking stuff that is still in use, but rare. But stuff that has
fallen off the radar:

MFM Hard drives
IBM PS/2 hardware
Lantastic
BeOS
Commodore/Amiga

Or even ancient versions of software:
Windows 2.0
Office 2.0
Novel 3.22
Solaris 2
386BSD

I've been struggling with this for years. On one hand my area is pretty
full of generalists, so I've always wanted to show off the breadth and
depth of my knowledge to differentiate me from the crowd. "Sure you know
Windows and Mac. But do you also know Solaris, Linux, *BSD, BeOS, AND
AIX?" On the other hand I run the risk of making HR people's eyes glaze
over, or hiring managers feel that I'm a "Jack of all trades, Master of
none."

Of course every once in a while it's nice to get the IT manager who's
been around the block to reminiscence together. :)

--
Rick Hamell

Linkedin Profile - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/6/946/27
Technology Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog
Pacific Northwest Photo Blog - http://www.1nova.com/photoblog

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of hamellr.vcf]