[geeks] AMD 8120 Box built

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:18:40 CDT 2012

Hello all,

A couple folks asked me to provide feedback on my mentioned AMD FX
8120 home VM server build - well, I built up the box this morning.

My build roughly looks like this:

AMD FX 8120 eight-core CPU - $149
BIOSTAR TA970XE MB (bundle with CPU) - $50 (5x SATA3 ports)
Zotac 8400GS video card - $10 (after $20 rebate)
DVD-R/W drive - $15
4x 8 Gig DDR3 Kit - $159 (after $30 rebate)
2x Seagate 2 TB SATA3 drives - $109/each
Antec 300 Chassis & Antec 550 Watt HE PS - $100 (aprox., had on-hand already)

Eight cores, 32 Gig RAM, 2/4 TB storage (depending on how you want to
"RAID" the drives) for just under $700.

And it's very quiet.

Went together in under 2 hours, currently wrapping up OS install
(Windows Server 2008 Enterprise), thinking about ways to stress test
the system so I can provide feedback for those folks interested, but
how should I test it?

I can toss a bunch of small, idle VMs on the box but that is not much
of a stress test - anyone got a better suite to stress the hardware?
I'd prefer not to wipe Windows Server, but I am happy to toss other OS
VMs or install application/test software on the box.

Any suggestions?

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com