[geeks] Network software pointer

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Mon Jul 2 14:14:29 CDT 2012

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 11:59:26 -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Wireshark looks GUI enough to help me identify trends and possible
> issues without requiring too much heavy lifting on my part.

It may be because I do a lot of high volume packet capturing but I'm an
enthusiast of using tcpdump to capture packets, and then moving the
capture file onto a machine with a big screen to analyse the results
with wireshark. As a side benefit, tcpdump is installed in a lot of
places where wireshark isn't.

Apart from looking into the packet captures, I'd also spend an evening
searching online for any interesting 'features' your router has. It's
not unknown for domestic routers (esp. those supplied by an ISP) to be
a bit of a lemon before applying any or all of a firmware upgrade,
configuration tweaks, or an appropriately positioned sledgehammer.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  'I find film very seductive ... like a woman my parents would not