[geeks] Network software pointer

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Jul 1 19:20:16 CDT 2012

> What I would like is to be able to:

> monitor all traffic in/out for a particular IP address

> Store the traffic for off-line analysis

"tcpdump -w" seems so obvious to me I can only assume there's some
reason it's not suitable for you.  But I don't see any such reason in
your message (possibly my fault, possibly not), so I have to ask:
what's wrong with it?

> Ideally, be capable of presenting the traffic in some sort of
> 'readable' form, sort of like an intelligent disassembler

tcpdump does that to some extent, enough for some purposes.  I believe
there are other tools that unpack in more detail, but the only one I'm
familiar with is my own, which severely undersupports the cases I
haven't personally had occasion to care about.  (You are nevertheless
welcome to a copy if you want, of course;
ftp.rodents-montreal.org:/mouseware/local-src/ether-unpack/ is the
place to look.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org