[geeks] IBM IntelliStation 285

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 03:30:36 CST 2012

On 14 Jan 2012, at 23:48, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 12:17:25PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>> In case you've never had the pleasure of meeting a POWER5+ machine:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixel_mason/sets/72157628863218653/
>
> How's the noise once the cover is on?
>
> I was going through in slideshow mode so I was startled when I hit the
> "it's alive" video :)

Extremely reasonable. I'm impressed that IBM managed to suppress the noise
of the fans that much. The side panel and back cover are lined in about 2
inches of dampening foam. It's not silet but it's perfectly civilised - I
have
it RIGHT next to me monitor on the desk and I can sit next to it without an
issue. I'd say noise-wise it is quieter than a U60 - it's in that
'audible but not annoying' range.

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info