[geeks] FYI - very nice price on a 1U Intel server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 12:09:54 CST 2012

Just got mine, haven't powered it up yet, but w/ 16 Gigs, dual quad-core CPU
and four drive bays this is a heck of a 'knock-around' system, esp. for the
$160 (delivered, with tax) I paid for it.

One post online said it was loud, but we'll see - I've got Dell 2950s and
1950s in my 'lab', I suspect this will be similar to them noise-wise.

Patrick, I may be interested in the MB manual if I can't find it myself.

I also picked up a Dell 'custom' server with dual six-core Opterons (12 cores
total), 64 Gigs of RAM and 12 drive bays (with an 8 port Dell PERC 6 RAID
card) no drives for $699 - that's an entire. Test VM lab in two rack spaces...
Just add drives ;^)

This second system was built as an MS SQL Server box, the same machine is
available for $399 with 16 Gigs RAM - they are listed on eBay.

Lots of bargains out there...

Lionel