[geeks] router confusion...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Dec 4 09:00:02 CST 2012

On 04-Dec-2012 08:59, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 12/04/12 08:47, Shannon wrote:
>> On 04-Dec-2012 08:04, Shannon wrote:
>>>
>>> I have 2 LANs, one "outside" and one private.
>>>
>>> They are currently bridged with a simple router.
>>>
>>> Basically it looks like this:
>>
>> [ huge snip ]
>>
>> Well yep... I am tired.
>>
>> I forgot that on the Netgear units you cannot disable the routing
>> function if you use the modem port. The router is forced to resolve the
>> conflict by searching for an unused network for the modem port.
>>
>> I wish they'd give you a function to let the modem port act as part of
>> the switch, but it could be a chipset limitation they can't do anything
>> about.
>
> One word (well, acronym):  DD-WRT.  Makes life much better.

When it works, yep.

Its not enough of an issue to make me look for a supported router.

I also found a secret page on the Netgear's to disable their
configuration assistant so it stops helping you to death. Add
/CA_HiddenPage.htm to the end of its default URL.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]