[geeks] router[s] sought

Steve Haavik shaavik at soc.lib.md.us
Mon Dec 3 06:38:53 CST 2012

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:13:45 -0500 (EST)
> From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
> To: francini at mac.com, geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [geeks] router[s] sought
>
> " From: John Francini <francini at mac.com>
> "
> " The thing is, unmanaged 10/100/1000 base-T switches, in 5-port and 8-port
> " guise, are stupid cheap these days; there's no reason to use anything slower.
> "
> " A TRENDnet 5-port switch, unmanaged, supporting jumbo frames, is $18 at
> " NewEgg: <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156250>
> "
> " An 8-port version is $40:
> " <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156251>
>
> d'oh.  missed them the first time, will definitely look again.
>
> odd the 8 is more than double the 5.
>
> any meaningful difference between brands at this end of the mkt?

Last week they had the 5-port version on sale for $15 and the 8-port for
$20. I've had an 8-port TRENDnet switch for at least 6 months now at home
without any problems. I was a bit annoyed that the 8-port switch with a
metal case and built in power supply (3-prong power cord instead of a wall
wart) cost a bit more. I'm planning on bringing the new one to work later
this week to see what Chariot can do to it. Some of the PC guys have been
complaining about cheap swiches failing if they do multiple Ghost images
at the same time. Still trying to get them to get a variety of them we can
test.

For brands... Umm.. We've used Allied Telesyn switches at work for any
place we needed media conversion and didn't want fans or wall warts. They
were more expensive when we started using them (something like a couple
hundred dollars for something with 8 copper and 2 GBIC ports.) Not sure
what they buy on the PC side, but I hear it's junk. I've seen an awful
lot of consumer crap switches (Linksys and Netgear mostly) with burned out
ports. But my TRENDnet switches are the only ones I've bought (with my own
money) in the last few years. I haven't actually seen a Linksys switch
since Cisco started putting their logo on them, so I have no idea if the
new stuff is more reliable.