[geeks] Replacing a Mac Pro 2006

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Dec 2 23:12:28 CST 2012

On 02-Dec-2012 23:22, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Well, hold on a minute - the HP microserver has a low-power CPU, shoving a
> quad-core Xeon or i7 that isn't a hobbled mobile/ULV version would require
> serious cooling and a much beefier PS than the HP packs. Also, the
> (essentially) miniDTX form-factor doesn't leave any space on the board for
> discrete graphics, you'd have to go with an add-in graphics card, and it would
> have to be half-height and short, and the HP doesn't have room for a PCI-E 16x
> slot connector (as I recall). Also, an add- in graphics card would drive up
> power requirements which would also drive up cooling issues...

You seem to have proven the opposite of what you meant to, or so I'm
reading it.

What I mean is...

The Mini packs all that horsepower into a far smaller box without issue,
it only needs better graphics.

The HP size box would only make that easier and allow for even more.

I just don't see how going to a larger and even easier to outfit form
factor would be a major factor, especially for Apple.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]