[geeks] OS testing, dragonfly

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Sep 12 09:55:56 CDT 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 08:12 , Vintage Coder wrote:

> Sorry for top posting, no choice with this email client.
>
> Your boot menu doesn't look identical to mine. I have kernel and UP kernel
among the choices after the install. The default is kernel (smp).

> Just guessing, since you may not have known what to look for when you
installed, maybe it installs whatever kernel you boot from during the install.

> Can you boot the installer again in your virtualization system and see if
you have option m. Select SMP kernel? If so, boot with that.

It does have that option.

I think I know why they do that: not long ago the SMP kernel could not boot on
a UP system, so it was probably a precaution.

Code to make it auto-select was committed this summer but I guess the
installer is still not aware of that.

Some ugliness in testing today: lot of cache_lock diagnostics during really
heavy I/O. Locks being held for a second or more when doing complex and heavy
I/O.

Matt has written a lot about that and trying to fix it.

If I understand correctly, its OK as long as it does not report deadlock...
the diagnostic is merely telling you performance degraded and low long it took
to recover.