[geeks] the virtualization project

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Sep 9 07:14:52 CDT 2011

On 09/09/2011 07:50 AM, Shannon wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2011, at 06:53 , vintagecoder at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Solaris does have path hell but if you don't use anybody else's packages
>> and avoid gnu stuff you can control it to some extent.
>
> I would just like to see them pick a flavor, and also put everything in one
> place. Maybe a Solaris based on pkgsrc would be nice. I think I picked up on
> one I want to try and test this week or next.

There's two main things I'd like to see in Solaris:  Less Gnome (even if
just by having a "desktop" package set well separated from the main OS),
and a more up-to-date userspace.  The out-of-the-box Solaris userspace
is inexcusably primitive.  So much basic functionality I have come to
take for granted from GNU utilities just isn't there in their Solaris
equivalents.  My first post-install step on any new Solaris box is a
current, full GNU userspace.

And hey, how about shipping Solaris with ONE version of Perl installed,
instead of three?

MS accused the GPL of being viral?  Gnome is truly viral.  It gets its
infernal hooks into everything.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.