[geeks] the virtualization project

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 9 06:58:03 CDT 2011

On Sep 9, 2011, at 07:33 , Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On 09/09/2011 12:17 AM, Shannon wrote:
>> Also, I just rather not use Linux. Most of the distributions are very
>> bloated, even for basic system administration utilities. Its not hard at
>> all to innocently install a system utility and find it pulling in half
>> of Gnome.
>
> Then ...  don't use the bloated distributions.

Well I think they all are... :)

> Did you look at Gentoo?  Gentoo gives you the best package management of
> any Linux - Portage is very much like *BSD ports, and clearly based on
> it - and lets you choose exactly what gets installed including which
> dependencies you want and which you want blacklisted.  For example,
> *nothing* on my system is compiled with any Gnome or KDE support that
> doesn't absolutely need to be there.  (Which is to say, glib and gtk+,
> and damned little else.)

Yea its a neat system.

One thing which I guess a lot of people don't care about any more... is the
idea of using well tested binaries. When the compiler runs you essentially
start testing over again.

Not a show stopper for everyone, but some people do like to use binaries that
have been put through extensive testing over time.

I do like playing with gentoo though, and it has a high level of control that
is really nice, just not sure I want it for a server right now. I have built
my own servers with it in the past. What I did was build the code and test it
for 1-3 months before using those binaries in production. Was a requirement
for that shop that nothing was used straight from source so that was our
workflow. Test -> Staging -> Production.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com