[geeks] Windows 7 Workstation recommendations

Andrew Meyer agmlego at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 08:35:47 CDT 2011

I have had great luck with a company called RAVE Computers, based out of
Sterling Heights, MI. They are pretty much the best compromise between
BYOB and prebuilt; they are more than willing to build nearly any
configuration you want, have a fantastic warranty system, and have
excellent pricing--we ordered several boxes with i7-960 quads, 6GB
DDR3-1333, 500GB primary, 2TB RAID1, NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti graphics,
quad-port Intel gigabit NIC, and Win7x64 Pro, and the total per machine
was only around US$2200 or so.

We use varying machines from RAVE in industrial machine vision
applications, and as such expect, and have seen, very reasonable
runtimes and longevity--the only reason so far we have had to pull an
existing box was for a software upgrade that needed more hardware than
the six-year-old box could sustain.

If I remember correctly, they do business outside the US as well, which
is why I bring them up. Give them a call and see if they can do anything
for you.

--
Andrew G. Meyer
<agmlego at gmail.com>

If there are two or more ways to do something,
and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe,
then someone will do it.
--Edward A. Murphy, Jr., 1949